The Slow Down Comes Welcomed

by Danielle Gruden (Boise, ID)
TO-GO CUPS
of coffee are no more; skipping breakfast due to lack of time has gone extinct.

In the beginning one of the hardest things to accomplish was to feel ok - comfortable with sitting, relaxing, and tasting my cappuccino (I have developed the idea that they are better here simply because people take the time to enjoy them - actually tasting them for the first time). Now, it has slowly transformed into me wishing I could stay forever, breathing everything in while everyone else scampers off to begin their day. The idea of actually sitting and enjoying a cappuccino, let alone anything, is new to me. I suppose I never thought about it much before. I keep a box of granola bars in my car at all times, to ensure I always have something to eat when life hands me a filled out, color coordinated, and organized array of day planners. Here, although I do have studies and school to care to, life has slowed down a considerable amount. I do still get an occasional glare from a passer-by as I attempt to devour the last bits of my brioche from breakfast, or my apple from lunch. The funny stare is enough to make me slow my legs down and hide away my current snack. When at Cafe de Italia, if I attempt to stand and wait for my cappuccino, Jake graciously reminds me to take a seat - he’ll bring it to me.

Not only has the tempo of my life slowed, but the sincerity from strangers around me has as well. People on the streets are quick to say Ciao! and Buonosara! My landlord and I have attempted several conversations, without barely knowing one another. I met a younger man by the name of Giacomo - while trying to break down the words spilling out of Patrizia’s mouth the other night. She had asked him to help translate - he helped with no hesitation. Afterward we sat and talked about school, traveling, Italy, and the U.S. He helped me correct some of my Italian, and I helped him understand some of English’s nonsense. I now have a new friend to email.

The people here have not only opened my mind to the simple enjoyment of everyday actions but have also given me a new perspective on the friendly nature of people and how by just saying a unexpected ciao! to someone you’ve never meet - can make you smile for hours after.