Florence

by Jessica Stauffer (Spokane, WA)
AS THE PLANE TOUCHED DOWN in Florence my exhaustion is overtaken by excitement. I look out the airplane window and realize I’ve landed in what feels like a whole different world. I catch a cab at the airport. The cab driver turns around and rattles off what I think means “Where to?” I immediately froze as the little Italian that I learned seemed to go right out the window. I sat there with my mouth open and handed him the paper with the hotel name and address. He glances at the paper, knows immediately where to go then proceeds to take off and zoom down the narrow streets of Florence. The crowded streets are the size of alley ways. So crowded in fact that I am unsure how the cab driver effortlessly weaves in and out of the heavy traffic. I arrive at the hotel and am relieved to find out that the staff speaks English. After check-in I head up to my room and notice only one bed which I am to share with a stranger I’ve never met. As excited as I am, I already feel out of my element. Familiarity is gone and my creature comforts are missing. I am filled with anxiety and little bit home sick. I did not at all expect to feel homesick since I have been aching to travel for as long as I can remember. At this point I am overwhelmed with exhaustion and decide to take a nap until my roommate arrives. As I lie down and take a deep breath I smile to myself and think, “Wow, I’m finally here!”