The Hospital Visit

by Vicki Hertz (Spokane, WA)
PERSPECTIVE. Look up, look down. I did to see my ankles swellen well beyond reasonal proportions. Fleshy grapefruits come to mind. As the day unfolded, mineature strawberries sprinked the pair of grapefruits. Ignoring the develpment became tantemount to ignorance. The Shreck Scale officially came into play, and the question became, "To go to the hospital, or not to go to the hospital." After a number of conversations regarding the symptoms that were excalating and multiplying, we decided to head in the direction of the emergency room, Dr. Caputo graciously in tow.

There, we received an unaccustomed welcome, at least from the expectations of an American. We navigated to empty hallways until we found the nurse who guided us to the reception area. There we waited for only a few moments. No forms, no fellow wounded, no soundtrack of cough, moans, or sorrowfilled sighs attempting to attract attention where attention is all too scarce. Before any substantial conversation could be launched, the nurse reappeared and invited us into the room where an examination table and doctor awaited. Dr. Caputo translated the reason we were there as I demonstrated the overripe condition of my feet. Right away the doctor invited me to make myself comfortable on the examination bed. He carefully tested for points of pain, visually surveying the extentent of the swelling. Then he instructed the nurse to prepare two shots which she promptly and expertly administered. The doctor explained to Dr. Caputo that we were to we wait twenty minutes in the waiting room for the medications to begin their work and to be sure I had no adverse effects. So we did. Twenty minutes later the nurse invited us back into the examination room where the doctor once again examined my feet. After determining that there were no signs of negative repercusions from the medicine, the nurse applied a topical ointment to my feet. We were given a written perscription and sent on our way with advice to return if the condition worsened over the course of the next two days, which it did not, so no return became necessary. Ecco!

Amazing. Reassuring. Efficient. And, by the way, effective.

What did I learn? Why in the world does our system need to be so complicated, excruciatingly inconvinient, expensive, and therefore exclusive? I can only imagine what a visitor to our country who experienced such symptoms would experience if they chose to go to an emergency room after a fellow travelor informed them that the considition could be symtomatic of a potentially serious condition. At the very least I can express my gratitude for the kind, care and reassurance I received throught this health system.