Peppers?

by Jessica Stauffer (Spokane, WA)
SITTING AT THE GROUP DINNER
, I was excited as I scanned the menu and noticed the seeming endless choices for pizzas. I was anxious to try a pepperoni pizza (my favorite kind of pizza) and compare it to the pizza I’ve had in the US. The menu had an actual pizza titled “pepperoni”. Perfect! I slapped the menu closed very pleased that I found exactly what I wanted. A little while later a pizza arrived to only peppers but no pepperoni. I was disappointed as I was hungry and expecting pepperoni. I never considered that pepperoni might mean peppers in Italy. I kept an open mind and dove into the pizza which turned out to be delicious. After contemplating the experience, I am glad I made the mistake. I learned not to make assumptions about the meaning of a particular word and because I likely would never have tried a pizza with just peppers. What a delicious mistake!