Salami per favore

by Tim Churchill (Spokane, WA)
I HAVE FOUND
that little things in stores and bars have created the most cultural dissonance for me. Being that I speak no Italian, I often feel rude when at the market just saying, “Salami per favore” rather than my usual pleasant request in the states, “May I please have some Salami”? Another bit of dissonance at the store involved me and the checker staring at each other, as I paid for my groceries, but stood there as I expected them to be bagged for me. After I saw him helping the next customer I learned another custom in Italian markets.

I have attempted to change the social norm of Cagli to make me feel more comfortable in bar settings. Rather than having drink after drink, then paying at the end of the night, I have chosen to pay for each drink individually. I don’t think I am being offensive to the bar etiquette, but I do see them looking at me in an odd way.