I love my iPhone

by Leslie Simmons (Burbank, CA)
I LOVE
my iPhone. Being an Angeleno means you have your Blackberry, iPhone, Droid or whatever smart phone you own in your hands at all times. Coming to Italy, I knew I had to surrender the iPhone for the “Zoolander” small Samsung international phone I rented from Piccell. I felt it would be a cleansing of sorts – just like not watching TV.

Technology is important. In many ways, it’s what advances the human race. Its purpose is to enrich and simplify our lives. But there can be too much technology – an overload – in which it takes over our lives. In Cagli, technology, particularly computers, is an afterthought in many ways. It is not needed or relied upon.

About nine days into my journey here, I realized I could still use my iPhone for WiFi use without roaming for a phone signal. One night, as I sat at Caffe d’Italia, I remembered that the cafĂ©’s owner, Jake, told us on our first day during Dr. Caputo’s guided tour of Cagli that he had “free Internet.” “Cool!” I thought at the time. Jake has WiFi.

Later in our Intercultural Communication class, Dr. C mentioned that it’s puzzling for the Cagliese to see us American’s sitting out on the Piazza glued to our computers. So, I decided not to try out Jake’s “free Internet.” Fast forward to the free weekend we had, and several students were either in Venice or out and about doing something. So there I sat in the Piazza alone and I thought, “I want to hop on the iPhone, maybe take a cool pic to load up on Facebook.” iPhone in hand, I searched for the WiFi connection. Nothing. I found Jake and in broken English and Italian I say, “Jake. Computer. WiFi. Dov’e?” Jake didn’t understand. “Free Internet,” I tell him, pointing to my phone. “Oh!” he says, and points over toward the kitchen. Outside, there is a high table with a computer. There was his “free Internet.” No WiFi, just a computer, not even a flat screen, sitting there, unused. “Oh! O.K. Grazie!” I say to Jake. Then, I put my iPhone in my purse and slinked away.